Monday 19 May 2014

Activity 5a: Explore website resources.

I chose Kindergarten Science as my subject. I enjoy making my science lessons fun, and I'm always looking for interesting experiments. I have not yet explored this subject area in terms of useful websites, so i was keen to see what i might find.

Concluding comments about the quality and variety of web resources available for my subject.

I discovered many credible websites while searching through the list of sites provided in the course materials.  However, it was challenging to find one which caters specifically to Kindergarten age group. My initial research came up with a lot of sites with games and simulations. It took a bit more time to find those sites which incorporate a variety of items on the checklist provided in the course materials. Below is a list of sites i chose to suit my needs, and a brief description of what they have to offer or may be lacking.

- www.education.com - A well rounded site offering free lesson plans, curriculum frameworks, printable worksheets. It has shareware.You have to subscribe for $3.99 US a month in order to access everything. In order to get some of the free things, you have to sign in using FaceBook. There are interesting science experiments. It lacks relevant games and simulation software. I would use this site more for general information and ideas.

- www.sciencekids.co.nz - This site is very informative, teacher and child friendly. It offers lesson plans in accordance with my curriculum topics, homework in the form of projects, printer friendly resources, freeware, general information, drill and practice games, and educational videos. It lacks any links to social networking but overall it is a fantastic site.

- www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/science/ - A credible site with mainly drill and practise games, simulation software, worksheets, general information, and topics in accordance with my curriculum. It lacks lesson plans but the educational games are excellent. The site is linked with the BBC community, which means there is a vast amount of other information, chat rooms and community forums- not science related.

- www.teachers.cr.k12.de.us/~galgano/elemkids.htm - Offers a lot of kindergarten science links to games, simulation software information, slideshows, etc. It is totally free and has general information on science education. It seems to be a site rreated for Caesar Rodney elementary school. It links to Caesar Rodney Instructional Technology Resources, which has a lot of information on using ICT in the classroom - very handy.

I am pleased with what i have found, and will definately be refering to these sites for imformation, ideas, worksheets and software. I realize that i have not found a site which ticks all the boxes, but by taking the best aspects of what the sites in my list have to offer, I have some excellent resources to work with.


No comments:

Post a Comment