Sunday 18 May 2014

Module5 Activity 3b Reviewing Educational Software Reflections

For this activity, i first read about the purposes of  educational software. The most important purposes of a tool to suit my needs would be one which builds learners retention, allows for drill and practice, encourages exploration & creative thinking, and presents problems to solve. I often use educational tools for group, individual and remedial work.
Other purpposes of educational software that i can think of would include:
- Simulating or displaying information in a way that would stimulate discussion and sharing of feelings for group work/classroom discussions.
- interactive demonstrations of particular topics or concepts followed by activities which can be used to help slower students or build on what the students already know.
While reading, I discovered a handy tool called Kidspiration, and i was glad to see starfall.com as part of the list, as I regularly use this in class, and I also agree that it is a very handy tool with a lot of free, useful phonics and reading activities.
Other types of online tools I have come across include:
- www.turtlediary.com - a unique collection of interactive and fun educational games, age appropriate yet challenging, which tracks progress on skills.
-www.funbrain.com - provides various free educational games in various areas of the curriculum. Presentation is colourful and fun.
-www.coolmath4kids.com - lessons and cool games in math, especially for older students.

The software reviews I found most helpful were focused in the category of basic skills development, repetition and practice, and remedial and special needs.

Readers are leaders
I found this review helpful because it is clear and to the point. The aim of the software was highlighted, and it mentioned that the installation process is easy. It showed how the different levels in the software relates to the curriculum, and that there are different levels and a variety of topics to relate to the user. It also explained how it manages assessment and feedback.

Clicker 4
This review had similar criteria to the Readers are Leaders review. I like that is was detailed enough to say that there is no specific content and that it can be used across the curriculum to help students learn to write whole words, phrases and pictures.

One important criteria that was not mentioned in both was cost/ membership fees, which I will add in my evaluation criteria for my activity, as this is important to my needs.

I explored a few of the various software review sites and found that some teachers evaluated them after using with the class, and some did not. I have yet to find some learner reviews, and one related to St. Vincent or a similar country, but I found some relating to Kindergarten level. During my own research, I also found some reviews by parents on forums, sharing ideas and opinions, which were imformative.


No comments:

Post a Comment